terça-feira, junho 28, 2005
Top 10 List – Decisions
The Top 10 ethical dilemmas facing patients today, determined by medical ethicists:
1. Conflicts pitting doctors against patients/families over treatment decisions.
2. Setting priorities related to medical waiting lists.
3. Access to needed health-care resources for the growing numbers of aged, chronically ill or mentally ill.
4. Shortage of family phycisians/primary-care teams.
5. Medical error.
6. Palliative treatment for the terminally ill.
7. Achieving informed consent.
8. Issues relating to research.
9. Substitute decision-making (i.e. families making decisions for incapacitated patients).
10. Surgical innovations and new technologies.
Fonte: University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics, Clinical Ethics Group